Call 513-241-6650 | Godbey Law serves Downtown Cincinnati, Butler & Clermont Counties and Northern Kentucky

March Madness at Godbey Law

By | March 13th, 2017|Uncategorized|

Download your NCAA Bracket [Printable PDF]  

Can I Modify My Custody and Child Support Order If I Move To Another State?

By | May 31st, 2016|Family law|

Yes. But it is not easy. For instance, if you have just moved to Ohio, there are two separate procedures for modifying your custody and support orders. R.C. § 3115.39 details the procedure to register a foreign support order, and R.C. § 3127.35 details the procedure for registering a foreign custody order. Bonds v. Bonds [...]

How Long is this Going to Take?

By | May 31st, 2016|Family law|

We all know that divorce, particularly when children are involved, is an arduous process. Potentially a very expensive process depending on assets involved, the degree to which the parties are cooperative or if animosity is the driving emotion. Divorce is represented this way in the cultural realm as well, there are limitless references to a [...]

Are You Entitled to Overtime as a Salaried Employee?

By | May 23rd, 2016|Employment Law|

In 2014, President Obama signed a Presidential Memorandum directing the Department of Labor to update the regulations defining which white collar workers are protected by the FLSA's minimum wage and overtime standards. On May 18, 2016, The Department of Labor has published new rules that will affect many employers by requiring that they pay overtime [...]

Should I Sign a Severance Agreement?

By | May 17th, 2016|Employment Law|

Almost always, severance agreements contain language that waives an employee's right to file suit on Title VII claims and other employee discrimination statutes. Sometimes these agreements are also referred to as "separation agreements." Thus, if you believe your employer may have terminated you for an unlawful purpose, you should likely not rush to sign that [...]

Do Government Employees Have 1st Amendment Rights?

By | May 17th, 2016|Employment Law|

Yes. But a government employee's 1st amendments rights are not necessarily absolute. "The First Amendment generally prohibits government officials from dismissing or demoting an employee because of the employee's engagement in constitutionally protected political activity." Heffernan v. City of Paterson, 14-1280 (U.S. 2016). In fact, in Heffernan, the Supreme Court held that even perceived engagement [...]

Am I Happy that I Practice Law?

By | May 16th, 2016|Our Attorneys|

Yes I am. If you are an attorney, I am quite sure you have had to deal with many jokes and snide comments about what you do. Undoubtedly, there are people in this country holding the belief that we are responsible for a majority of evils in the world. Well, not only do I believe [...]

When Has My Business Competitor Gone Too Far?

By | May 3rd, 2016|Business Law|

In certain industries, it is not unheard of for business competitors to play a little cloak and dagger. Businesses may slander each other just like people. Sometimes competitors steal each other's customer lists or other confidential trade secrets. A competitor may try to take these secrets from another company's employee even when the competitor is [...]

What Constitutes Sexual Harassment in the Workplace?

By | May 3rd, 2016|Employment Law|

Unfortunately, sexual harassment still occurs in the workplace. This harassment may occur in the form of inappropriate comments, requests for sexual favors, inappropriate touching and other degrading acts on the basis of sex. In order for harassment to be actionable, the harassment must be severe or pervasive enough to alter the conditions of employment. The [...]

What Can I Do If My Insurance Company Unfairly Denies My Claim?

By | May 3rd, 2016|Business Law|

Your insurance companies have a duty to not unreasonably deny your claims. However, your insurance company may not satisfy that duty. In Ohio, an insured party can take an insurance company to task for unreasonably denying his or her claim. This claim is referred to as a "bad faith" claim against your insurance company. In [...]