ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT MAKING A WILL?
Right now, to stay safe during this COVID-19 pandemic and help “flatten the curve”, we are all Sheltering-at-Home. In addition to repainting the kitchen and putting in the garden, the To-Do List may include getting your Last Will & Testament prepared.
- Who would you like your executor to be?
- Who will raise your children if both parents passed away before they turn 18?
- Who would take care of your child’s inheritance?
Everyone should have a Will, even if you are not a rich person. A Will is critical for ensuring that your wishes are carried out after you pass away, while also maintaining harmony among your family.
Without a Will, the probate court and state laws will determine who gets what property from your estate, who will be your executor, and which of your friends or relatives raises your child until they become an adult.
- Do you already have a Will?
- How old is it?
- Are your executor and back-up executor still alive and able to serve in that capacity?
- Are the guardians of your minor children still the best choice?
- Would you change the way your assets are bequeathed?
It is always a good idea to look at your Will every few years to see if it still meets your wishes.
Putting your Will together is simply prudent planning. You have worked hard to achieve the assets you own, and it is your right to specify what you want to happen to them if you pass away. Putting a Will in place gives you that peace of mind in knowing your wishes will be carried out.
As an essential business, Godbey Law remains open and able to serve our clients during this crisis. We are communicating with our clients via phone, email and video conferencing. Godbey Law offers a FREE initial consultation. You can talk with a lawyer, ask any question, get a quote on fees, and then decide how you would like to proceed.
Mark E. Godbey
GODBEY LAW LLC
708 Walnut Street, Suite 600
Cincinnati, OH 45202-2022
(513) 241-6650 – phone
(513) 241-6649 – fax